Mission Statement

Dooming bad comics, one story at a time.

Is there a closet in the Bat-Cave?

I was looking through my dad's old comics with him some time back, and was astounded at some of the things he had. He's has X-men #1(but it's coverless, which sucks). He has a large number of Fantastic Four, Spider-man, and even a few Power Man(almost all of which are coverless, or half-coverless. He was a kid and didn't care what condition they were in). But the comic he had that shocked me more than anything was this.


I picked this up out of the box and immediately started cracking up. He asked what was so funny, and through my tears of joy, I barely got out "what the hell is rainbow batman?" He then explains the story, which I guess makes since for the time, but it still raises some questions.

Here's how it goes. Dick Grayson is publicly heroic as himself(instead of Robin, if you didn't know) and everyone knows that Dick is hurt. He saw some criminals at the same time, and can ID them, but if he goes out as Robin injured, everyone will figure it out. So Batman's first idea is to dress up in all sorts of different colorful batsuits to draw all attention to him and away from Robin. The culmination of these is the rainbow suit.

It's questionable as to whether this was a simple good idea badly executed, or an underhanded way of telling everyone Batman's sexual preference(rainbows are a gay rallying point after all). I personally don't care. I just find the comic hilarious. You can make your own inferences, it's your right to.

This next picture is one I ran across while looking for the above images, which I've seen before, and it always seems to at least make me smirk.

No comments:

Post a Comment